Do you want to live in a greener, more sustainable way? Are you worried about climate change? Do you want to eat more fruit and vegetables? Do you want to start growing things? Are you interested in learning more about keeping chickens, and beekeeping?
This tour will inspire you to get started . . .
• Tour the vegetable garden. Discuss permaculture, inter-cropping, perennials, no-dig, pests. Enter the greenhouse and see the hotbox and its crops: early salad, melons, tomatoes and grapes. See and discuss composting and (leaf) mulching.
• Tour the fruit and nut trees. Discuss growing , grafting and crossing apples and other fruit. See cordons, step-overs, espalier, standards. See sweet chestnut, cobs and walnuts. See a family tree with three apple varieties.
• See the 10+ varieties of soft fruit in the fruit cage.
• Feed the chickens and check for eggs. Discuss chicks, dual-purpose birds and general care.
• Watch the bees, and learn more about beekeeping. Try on a bee suit. Taste the honey.
• Walk along the (planted) foraging hedge with many different types of pollen and fruit for humans / bees. See the pears grafted to hawthorn.
• See the turkeys and discuss (Sep to Dec!).
• See the solar panels, wood pellet boiler, smart meter. Discuss all the energy systems.
• Hear a little history of 1870 Farlands House, and Hayfield village inc the dam and the Kinder Trespass.
Other things to note
Can't find a suitable date? Please get in touch. We will be walking/standing for 90 mins. Great walking from the door in the Peak District National Park. You are welcome to leave a car before/after.