A private, fully furnished, locking room is offered in a shared household. This description will give you information on 1) the house, room, and other occupants 2) transportation & parking and 3) distances to various institutions and services
The house is a large 5 bedroom, 2 story house, about 120 years old. Housemates are working adults and graduate or undergraduate students- responsible, friendly people- and a house cat. (I may have a pet-free household with a room or rooms available if you are allergic to cats, or simply need larger accommodations. Some photos of alternate locations are included, with the units numbered.) The house is GLBT friendly, and we are open to people of all beliefs, faiths and creeds as long as they are tolerant, responsible guests. Current occupants are 3 males and 1 female (plus the female feline!).
The room is private, lockable, and has both wired and wireless secure internet access (with wireless useable throughout the house). A private window air conditioner is provided for hot weather, and the bedroom has a hot water radiator that will keep you warm. The room is furnished with a bed, bedside table, desk, chair, dresser, window blinds, etc.. In addition to the room, you will have shared use of 1 full bath, 1 half bath, 3 living rooms, dining room, well-appointed kitchen, pantry, 2 covered porches, free washer and dryer use, and bicycle storage room.
We can potentially provide you a bicycle at a nominal charge, weather and availability permitting. The house is on a major bus line which goes to the University of Rochester, Strong Memorial Hospital, and near Highland Hospital and a Tops Supermarket in one direction, and to downtown Rochester, its Convention Center, the Eastman School of Music (ESM), Memorial Art Gallery (MAG), Visual Studies Workshop (VSW), and Wegmans and PriceRite Supermarkets. The house is 0.75 miles / 1 kilometer from a walking/biking bridge to the University of Rochester's (UR) River Campus, and about 1.5 miles / 2 kilometers from Strong Memorial Hospital (SMH). By bus or car it's a 2 mile / 1.5 kilometer ride to the heart of the UR campus and to Strong Memorial Hospital. Free on-street parking is available in front of and beside the house at all times, with no need to move the car to the other side of the street (as one must in many Rochester neighborhoods). For a nominal charge we may be able to provide either garaged or off-street parking- ask if that's of interest to you. We may be able to provide you a ride from the airport, train or bus station- please ask if this would be helpful. We can sometimes help with transportation to stores and other locations, as well.
Information will be added soon regarding distances to other points in and around Rochester; don't hesitate to ask if you need further details.
Distances from the house by car or on foot, in miles (mi) and kilometers (km):
* walking / bicycling bridge to the University of Rochester (UR, U of R): 0.68 mi / 1.1 km
* Rush Rhees Library, University of Rochester (UR, U of R): 1.96 mi / 3.2 km
* Strong Memorial Hospital (SMH): 2.05 mi / 3.3 km
* Highland Hospital: 1.58 mi / 2.5 km
* Rochester General Hospital 4.83 mi / 7.8
* Unity Hospital 7.86 mi / 12.6 km
* Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT): 5.42 mi / 8.7 km
* Monroe Community College (MCC): 4.03 mi / 6.5 km
* Visual Studies Workshop (VSW): 3.12 mi / 5.0 km
* George Eastman House / International Museum of Photography: 3.29 mi / 5.3 km
* St. John Fisher College: 7.80 mi / 12.6 km
* Nazareth College: 8.82 mi / 14.2 km
* Roberts Wesleyan College: 7.21 mi / 11.6 km
* E Main Street & S Clinton Ave. (downtown Rochester) 1.95 mi / 3.2 km
* Greater Rochester International Airport: 2.47 mi / 4.0 km
* Amtrak Railroad Station: 3.69 mi / 5.9 km
* Trailways Bus Station: 3.69 mi / 5.9 km
* Interstate 390: 1.65 mi / 2.7 km
* Interstate 490: 1.38 mi / 2.2 km
No inside smoking. Smoking is permitted on the porches or in the yard, as long as all smoking materials are fully extinguished and properly disposed of.
The house is generally quiet, and we are more sensitive to keeping conversation and other sounds to a minimum after 10pm.
The resident cat is as much a part of the household as the people; guests are asked to ensure exterior doors are promptly and securely closed, and to make sure the cat doesn't get out, or get locked in your room. You don't have to like her, but we expect you will treat her with courtesy.