I had been on the phone with this group since they checked in about every 30 minutes. I advised them about the storm and about the uncertainty of the restoration of the power outage. Had Joseph decided to leave the house knowing that the electric was down for 110,000 homes I would have been glad to refund him and his friends. However, they did not do this. They stayed throughout their reservation dates and aside from the deplorable condition that they left the house in they also soiled and damaged one of our Queen mattresses and put a hole through the wall. The cost to replace the mattress as well as to fix the wall exceeds the rental price that they paid. We plowed the driveway twice, the Gas supplier came to the house and informed them that there was no gas leak but they insisted. I have written proof which I sent to Airbnb that the house was perfectly safe. It was an unfortunate experience, one which I hope to not have to ever relive.